In 1948, the World Health Organization (WHO) defined health with a phrase that is still used today.
“Health is a state of complete physical, mental and social well-being and not merely the absence of disease or infirmity.” WHO, 1948.
More recently, researchers have defined health as the ability of a body to adapt to new threats and infirmities. They base this on the idea that modern science has dramatically increased human awareness of diseases and how they work in the last few decades.
Steps that can help us maximize our health include:
- a balanced, nutritious diet, sourced as naturally as possible
- regular exercising
- screening for diseases that may present a risk
- learning to manage stress
- engaging in activities that provide purpose and connection to others
- maintaining a positive outlook and appreciating what you have
- defining a value system, and putting it into action